Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 6/14/2013

Who should I hire to repair a deck?

My deck is large (705 sf) and it is texture coated. Over the years it has become dryrotted in places. The problem appears to be near a seam where the plywood meets and the coating has cracked along the edge of the seam. I need a contractor that specializes in this type of repair. It has a glass railing that may need to be removed and replaced. I am not sure I want a deck contractor as many are good at Trex and composite wood or may be good at the railing but neither may be good at the carpentry we need.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Voted Best Answer

Sounds like some (or all ?) plywood replacement will be needed. The glass railing certainly complicates things - be sure your contract stipulates any breakage of glass is the contractor's responsibility. I had one commercial redeck job involving glass railing at a government tourist facility - the contractor chose to hire a glass company to first remove and temporarily store the glass panels while the deck was rebuilt, then replace them, rather than work around it. More cost, but less glass problems. That was about a 2000 SF deck/overlook.

One other thought on contractors - you might consider a roofing contractor, as this sounds more similar to roofing tearoff and sheathing repair job than a deck job, though whether a roofing contractor could handle reapplying textured coating I don't know, unless you are up to doing that yourself. Or are you dealing with a pre-textured product that can just be replaced, then maybe full-surface painted to cover nails/screws and to give a uniform matching color to old and new material ?

Either way, you will have to find a contractor who is comfortable working with the product. If a factory textured product, contact your local supplier (or the manufacturer, if not sold locally) and see if they can give you the name of companies in your area who have bought the product to use on jobs.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD


Hello, this is Kiel with Angie's List. You'll want to log in at and search for the category Decks and Porches to see our top rated providers in that area. You can also contact our call center at 1-888-944-5478 or send a written request to for more information.

Call center hours:
Mon-Fri: 8:30am – 8:15pm ET
Sat: 8:30am – 3:00pm ET

Thanks so much!

Answered 6 years ago by KielH

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy