Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/1/2013

Who do I hire to repair a hot water heater vent on the roof of a two story home? A plumber or a roofer?

I'm selling my home and evidently the collar on the hot water heater vent pipe is too high and must be lowered. It is a high roof. I'm not sure who to get.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Voted Best Answer

Since this involves removing (or at least pulling the nails) on a few shingles and slipping the roof jack in under the shingles for the top half of the flashing portion, I would use a roofer - the roof jack is part of the roofing system, not the heating/hot water system - it is designed to prevent water from getting through the roof at the pipe penetration - so use a roofer, so it is sealed correrctly and does not cause leaks.

Probably about $100 or so for this job.

While a handyman could probably do an adequate job, why risk any misfire that could affect your sale for maybe a $25-50 savings.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD


Thank you, that sounds like it makes sense.

Answered 6 years ago by Guest_95227372

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy