Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/11/2016

Who do I go to for issues with neighbors kids

My neighbors kid(s) drive atv's on the main road into the neighborhood causing serious hazards. I have almost hit one and so has a friend. Plus it is daily from sun up to AFTER sun down. What do I do? Did I mention my neighbor is cop???? HELP

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Sounds like you live on my street, with respect to the ATV's being driven on streets (and yards).

Yeah - some cops seem to feel they and their family are above the law, and of course unless you are on friendly terms with him/her you risk retribution.

Certainly this is a public nuisance, plus driving ATV's on the street is illegal in most areas.

You could print out a nicely phrased plain paper note without signature in an envelope without return address and mail it to him, asking as a concerned and disturbed neighbor that he restrict his kids to legal riding. And hope he is not so vindictive that he gets the envelope fingerprinted.

In many areas nuisance noise and dangerous street activity can be called in to the police anonymously (and state specifically to them WHY you want it anonymous), though to be sure it is anonymous you would have to actually call from an unregistered burner phone or payphone or such, if you are worried about him digging into dispatcher records about who called, because in most areas ALL calls to police/fire (and this should NOT be a 911 call for this sort of thing) have the calling number recorded even if "caller ID blocked". Of course, while the responding police can go to the house to talk to them about this (assumign you give the cop's address) unless they actually see the kids doing this they cannot ticket them for it.

All you can do otherwise, if talking to him does not solve it or is not feasible or safe feeling (and of course if you talk to him/her and that does NOT take care of it then he will assume it was you who called the cops about it if anyone calls the cops about it in the future), then calling the cops about illegal and hazardous ATV driving on the street is all you can do. IF ATV('s) are licensed get that info to provide to the cops too.

Two other possibilities, though both run a certain risk of your identity getting back to the neighbor cop - but if you specifically on the phone call state you want your identity kept secret because of the possibility of retribution, are to

1) call the watch commander or internal affairs to have THEM talk to the cop about letting his kids do this, or

2) calling the next higher police jurisdiction - like if this is city cop, call county sheriff, or if top level cop for your area then call the state troopers/state patrol and explain the conflict of interest thing for calling them instead of local cops.

BTW - when calling, be sure to indicate if you are calling about reckless driving driving, unlicensed drivers (underage), driving illegal vehicle on street (assuming unlicensed and illegal in your area), public nuisance (noise), trespassing (driving across your yard), or some combination of these.

BTW - on the "unlicensed thing" - in some states/areas, ATV's and off-road motorcycles have to be licensed and/or registered even if they are not road legal - so just being licensed does not necessarily mean it is legal to drive themm on the streets. And of course, being licensed does not give license to unnecessary repetitive driving up and down the street causing a public nuisance, not reckless driving.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy