Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/10/2018

Who can I get to replace/repair sagging support beam holding one side the roof.

My garage is not attached to my home, it is separate. Currently, there is a large dip, only one side of the roof of the garage. The remainder of the garage roof appears to be stable.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


If you can look in the garage attic or with strong flashlight in from the eaves, see if broken or flopped over or rotten rafter is causing this, or maybe the ridge pole is cracked/rotten. Since you say one side only, likely damaged/cracked/rotted rafter(s) or truss(es) on that sagging side - failed ridge pole would make for a sag at the ridgeline as well as on both sides adjacent to the problem area.

Could also be (if you have trussed framing) loosened up (so came loose) truss connectors, or very rarely (usually only on fairly old construction in heavy salt air areas) rusted out connectors.

Could also be failed tierods or bottom chord of truss (what forms the ceiling of the garage if drywalled) allowing the rafters to sag. Normally only if very old framing or has been snow overloaded.

Rafter can usually be repaired or replaced from underneath without excess trouble - broken ridge pole would normally be spliced with metal repair plates or sistered unless rotten because not feasible to replace it with roof in place - to replace economically requires roof be opened up at the ridge at least.

Carpenter - Framing could do the repair, but unless roofing is not having to be opened up, usually a General Contractor would be used to handle the framing repair plus the roof work under one contractor.

Because this is a structural issue (unless just a very localized sag due to leak causing rotten sheathing, in which case a Roofer would fix it), to get a building permit for the repair (unless a simple framing connector refastening) normally a Structural Engineer would have to look at it and develop a repair sketch/design for the contractor to use to do the repair.

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy