Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/28/2014

Who can change a light bulb in 18 ft ceiling?

Exterior door entry light bulb requires changing. Ceiling is 18 ft high.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

3 Answers


Hi, this is Meranda with Angie's List.

That is a high ceiling. Generally, a handyman would be a good place to start. But if they don't have a ladder that height, a painter should. You can find either by searching and searching for handyman or painting.

Home improvment stores also sometimes sell long poles that can screw a bulb in or out for this purpose, or also they may rent longer ladders — assuming you'd be capable and comfortable going up that high.

Good luck with your project!

Answered 6 years ago by Meranda


You can buy 11 foot extended light bulb changers with several different type of bulb grabbers at box stores, Harbor Freight, Amazon etc for about $20 - this gives you about 14-17 foot reach from floor for a normal person, so a slight step stool or step ladder should get you 18 feet up. You can also buy 24 foot ones for about $40-50.

Costs less than a single $50-75 visit by a handyman to do changeout once. just be sure to wear a face shield when using in case you break a bulb - and put something soft (I stretch an old sheet suspended under the area) under the fixture to catch any bulb you drop or prematurely release.

A tip - coat the bulb threads with a light coating of petroleum jelly or teflon lubricant before putting in, to reduce chance of it sticking in the socket. Do NOT get into the glass-metal junction, or in the bulb tip contact area - apply by paper towel, not by spraying, and wipe off excess before installing.

Note - these tools will generally NOT work for chandeliers as they wiggle around too easily, and of course bulb has to be glass end down for it to work - cendelabra type upright fixtures or upward-shining far fixtures cannot be changed this way, for example.

As far as contractors - painters and most handymen commonly have 24' extension ladders that would easily reach your ceiling - or buy one for $200-300 (if you have storage room - typically about 14-16' long when collapsed) and pay off its cost in a couple of bulb changes if you have fixtures that require you get right up there to change the bulbs. Or rent at tool rental place (if you have pickup or SUV with roof rack to carry it) for about $20-25/day.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD


I need someone to change it...Do you have any phone numbers

Answered 5 years ago by yshrop

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy