Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/17/2013

Who can create opening(s) in an interior weight-bearing wall to open up line of sight through it to kitchen?

In our 70s ranch- house, the weight-bearing interior living room wall creates a dark hallway between the (sunken) living room and the (higher) kitchen area behind it. Need the weight bearing wall opened up so there is nice line of sight through to the kitchen without affecting the weight bearing capability of the wall. There are electrical outlets in the wall. One idea is to cut in one or two arched openings. Would like to get estimates for the work. Am open to any ideas.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


You need an architect or structural engineer to assess the current support and load situation, and design the support needed to replace the wall.

Then a General Contractor specializing in remodels can handle the foundation modifications (if needed), carpentry, drywall, electrical, painting, flooring etc trades needed to make the change.

Answered 7 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy