Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 12/7/2015

Who to fix a window leak from settling?

A recent driving rain resulted in a leak in our picture windows. There is visible separation in the casing on the inside I believe is from our house settling. The outside caulk doesn't look great either. If a new caulk job doesn't fix the problem, who do I call to fix the windows if it is from settling? They are out of warranty.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!

Voted Best Answer

As the other comment says - if rain is getting in, caulking might well stop it. Around the outside of the outer frame/flashing if leaking there, or at the glass/sash frame interface if leaking there. If the window has warped enough that there are gaps between the sashes or between a slider and the frame, commonly self-adhesive weatherstripping from FrostKing or M-D or such can solve it - lots of different for different applications.

Handyman can do those sort of repairs.

I would take issue on the commnent about most settlement being done in 10 years - primary settlement (the house "settling in") yes commonly in a few years (and should be limited to maybe a few very minor hairline cracksw, nothing like you are seeing) - but setlement due to structural creep (commonly exhibited as wood joist/floor sagging), insect or fungal damage, foundation failure, etc tend to start showing up around 5-10 years commonly and progress from there as long as the cause is not remedied. I doubt JC would argue with the statement that most 50 or 100 year or 200 year old houses have more settlement symptoms and issues than those 10 years old or less.

As far as if the frame is breaking up due to settlement - might be removing the windows, squaring and renailing the components,, and reinstalling would solve the issue - might be just about as cheap to just put in new one if doing that. A few Handymen with a lot of window experience could do that - generally a Window installation company is what you want, but these days few do that type of reconstruction - most just say buy new windows.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD


With rare exception all home settling is done in 10 years. Better chance of dry rot on window or sagging of the window due to poor framing. The exterior sealing with a Geocell or Silicone caulk (matching the paint color if possible) should solve the window leak. Use AL or friends for handyman referal to do the caulking if you are unable.

Jim Casper

ps for ideas on gutters and guter covers see my website

Source: www.heartlandmastershield,com

Answered 4 years ago by jccasper

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy