Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/28/2015

Who is the best person to contact for detecting a leak between the first and second floor of a house?

bathroom\shower upstairs appears to be leaking to the laundry room downstairs. We can hear a drip when we use water upstairs but do not see signs of a new leak anywhere downstairs at the moment but it has leaked in the past. We have mold on the laundry room ceiling

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


Since you said you can hear a drip when you run water upstairs, pretty clear this is not a roof leak working its way down through the top floor - so Plumbing is your Search the List category. He will go in through the laundry room ceiling to find and probably repair the leak from there too, usually leaving one or occasionally two holes in the ceiling about 2 feet square.

Once the leak is repaired, you will be able to see if you have significant subfloor damage or not - if just wet without visible mold or fungus, just dry it out by directing airflow from a fan or fan/heater (on LOW) into the area to give ventilation circulation to dry it out. If a small area of light mildew and maybe some mold spots on the wood, then (with good eye splash protection and a wet rag around your mouth to reduce inhalation of fumes, and don't get real up close - spritz the affected areas with a spray bottle (Windex or whatever) filled with chlorine bleach - AVOID getting on wiring or metal pipes.

Obviously, if you have heavy mold or fungal growth or dry rot, then you are probably talking a mold remediation specialist to kill the growth, then possibly a carpenter or general contractor if the leak has been going for so long that you have structural damage to the floor joists.

On the drywall - I recommend taking out ALL drywall with mold/fungus on it - drywall is cheap, and it does not cost significantly more to redrywall and repaint a full sheet or two worth of ceiling than just the couple of foot square access hole the plumber will make.

FYI - look right under this answer for several more responses to similar questions.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy