Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/4/2012

Who would be able to repair a kitchen island slider drawer that lost ball bearings for 30-year old kitchen cabinets ?

We have 30-year-old kitchen cabinets that look fine and are functional except for a kitchen island drawer that lost ball bearings from the slider mechanism. We have gone to Lowe's, Home Depot and other such stores finding nothing that matches. We really do not want to replace all the kitchen cabinets just because of one drawer that has a problem. Is there anyone on Angie's list that would be able to handle this kind of issue?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


This might be a good job for a local handyman! Check Angie's List to find a highly-rated, licensed professional in your area.

Answered 8 years ago by Cas


Realize this is late, but if you have not gotten it fixed yet- a cabinet installer should be able to ifnot replace the bad bearing, at least just put compatible sized new hardware on that one drawer for you for probably $100 range if you can take the slider mechanism out and in to them,or probably about $200-250 range (because likely 2 trips - one to measure size needed, second to come install - though if you measure length and height and width of slider mechanism (max dimension) he might be able to bring as couple with him to see if one fits on first trip.

Handyman might also be able to find a set at home improvement store that would fit properly and do the job - usually not too hard to find compatible ones.

If there is company name on hardfware (may have to remove from cabientas couldbe stamped on side that faces the cabinet) you could take a photo and measurements and eMail the company about whether they are available - or check restoration and replacement hardware websites for matching units.

Also - if the bearing unit is bolted or screwed in (or you are a bit shop handy), you can get replacement wheels with bearings at Lowes and Home Depot, and just replace the defective wheel unit and shaft. The rivited and sometimes crimped-in type you may have to force or drill out and replace with a screw or bolt-in type.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy