Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/22/2016

Who can repair/replace part of a wooden floor in my manufactured home (trailer) weakened by water damage?

Last year I noticed water dripping from one of the taps that feed my washing machine, never thought it was serious (but I've since fixed it). However - I guess the dripping was worse than I thought as the front of the (gas) furnace floor, next to the washing machine, weakened and caused the furnace to "lean forward" somewhat, enough to disconnect the exhaust hoses. I used a small piece of wood to "prop the furnace back up" - this was about 3 months ago and it is still holding. I have recently noticed irregularities on the small walkway floor in front of both. Yesterday (Apr 21st) I went underneath to check, found the floor's underside in the affected area is damp - so I assume that portion of the floor underneath the furnace, washer and dryer, and the small walkway should be replaced.

Would appreciate contact with any possible repair facilities soonest.


Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


Assuming you fixed the leak more than a couple of weeks ago, if it is still wet on the underside you likely still have a leak that should be tracked down first. Generally, as long as all noise sources in the home are off, you can detect VERY small leaks with a metal headed stethoscope (about $15-20 at phramacy department) listening at pipes around the house to pin down where the slight whistle or hiss is coming from. I have found leaks that were only dripping every 10 seconds or so, and pinhole spraying leaks that were putting out only maybe a pint or less of water a DAY in this way. Found one in my house where I heard the hiss at night but thought it was furnace noise, finally litened at a pipe and heard it was a leak. Found with stethoscope - had been spraying for several days but the wetness had not even made it to the bottom of the stud bay in that time, so probably a pint or two in several days. Granted, in noisy areas sometimes the ambient noise is too loud to easily track it, but by listening on the pipe with the stethoscope well seated in your ears it works amazingly well. Note you may have to turn off the gas appliances (at least to pilot if not fully to off) if that sound is interfering.

Some Remodeling - General Contractors will do this type of repair, as do many Smoke and Water Damage restoration general contractors. You want a GC because you have HVAC, plumbing, carpentry (subflooring), finish flooring, and maybe wall covering and framing and electrical probably to be messed with in the process. A handyman probably could do it but you would be counting on him not ending up with dangerous furnace situation or such, because that is going to have to be at least temporarily held up with timbers if not removed and then replaced to be able to do the flooring replacement.

Otherwise (not an AL category) google for trailer house and RV repair places - some will do this.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy