Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/29/2014

Who can replace a metal chimney cap on a boxed in flue?

The metal is rusted and I am concerned that it will start leaking.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Not tough to DIY - usually just 4-6 sheet metal screws into the flue to hold it on. On a rainless day take yours off, take to store to find matching inlet and put on - will need an electric drill with appropriate $1 driver bit to drive the sheet metal screws in on new unit as most likely will not line up with old holes.

Otherwise, a Chimney Sweep.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD


Your best off calling a chimney sweep, recommend checking Angie's LIST for chimney caps or repairs. This is not something that all sweeps specialize in. I would be willing to bet you a million dollars that if you tried to DIY like someone was suggesting you would never find this kind of cap at a hardware store or big box store. Chase cover caps are a specialty item. I hope that is helpful.

Plus most of the times it's not the raincap that is failing but the galvanized chase cover that is rusting and it will eventually leak. If you ever hear rain dripping by your fireplace but don't see water it is from your rusty chase cover or the other place we see it is where they screwed the cap on and didn't caulk on too of the screw head.


Answered 6 years ago by bornagain

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy