Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 2/5/2017

Window seal is leaking during rain and wind, seams to be wet under first layers of shingles, i would i fix this?

Just had new roof put on

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


When you say window seal - if you mean the flashing and water barrier in/around the window rough opening, so it is leaking AROUND the outside of the window frame, then see below answer. If you mean the seals in the window unit itself (weatherstripping) so leaking within the window unit (at points where moving elements meet fixed ones say) then that is almost certainly a window unit issue and highly unlikely to be related to the new roof at all.

Wetness under first row or two of shingles would not be unusual in blowing rain - actually inblowing or prolonged rain the shingels generally get pretty well wetted all under as much of the tabs as you can see or feel under because it wicks from the tab slots under the tabs - that is why there are two complete layers on the roof - like feathers on a duck.

If water is running out from UNDER the Shingles (as opposed to off them) then you have a roofing problem - and if this window has been there awhile and never leaked before, might be time to call the roofer to come see what is going on, under warranty.

However - if the window is leaking around it, it could only be due to roof leakage if the roof is leaking down into the wall - like a leak higher up on the roof getting through the shingles and water barrier into the sheathing, through the sheathing joints, running down the underside of the sheathing to the beg screening or off the underside of the sheathing to the rafters and down the underside of them to the wall contact, then into the wall. Can happen, but fairly rare. Usually it finds someplace to fall off in the attic before it gets to the wall.

If running down through the wall, would normally be wetting the inside wall at the ceiling contact area, or over the window.

Here are links to some similar questions with answers FYI - more links to those and other similar questions listed in and/or under them -

Answered 3 years ago by LCD



This is Chris in Member Care. Thanks for your interest in Angie's List!

We'll be happy to help find top rated providers, but it doesn't look like you have a subscription to the List yet. You can join by visiting or by giving us a call. Our call center is available 8:00 am-9:00 pm weekdays and 8:00-5:00 pm ET on Saturdays.

Thanks for your question and we look forward to assisting you!

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy