Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/5/2014

Wood destroying insect report

What company does a Wood Destroying Insect Report?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

3 Answers


This sounds like something related to a purchase/sale contract - where the buyers (or lender) want a report stating wood destroying insects are either not determined to be present, or have been treated for and killed ? I would say a pesticide / insect control company - same people who would treat a carpenter ant, termite, wood eating centipede, etc infestation. I would guess probably $200 range for a good inspection - of course, several times that $ if insects found so treatment needed.

But to be on the safe side I would check with your Realtor, who should also be able to tell what contractor he/she has used in the past with good results. He/she should also know if there is a specific form to be used in your state for this report, so you order it using correct terminology to get what the buyer is looking for. If there is any doubt, he/she can check with the buyer's realtor about exactly what they are looking for.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD


Hello, this is Meranda with Angie's List.

I can't tell from your question if this is connected to a home purchase or if you're interested in checking out a potential problem on your own home. In either case, you could ask a home inspector (they do inspections even when a home isn't for sale) or a pest control company. Not every inspector or pest control company may specialize in or offer a wood destroying insect report, but they should mention it on their profile or when you contact them.

You can log in at and search for the category "home inspection" or "pest control/exterminating" to see our top rated providers in your area. You can also contact our call center at 1-888-944-5478 or send a written request to for more information. The call center hours are Mon-Fri: 8:30am – 8:15pm ET and Sat: 8:30am – 3:00pm ET

Good luck!

Answered 5 years ago by Meranda


I am a home inspector and get asked this question a lot. If a home inspector tells you they can do a WDO inspection they must have a pesticide applicators license. Most do not. If they are advertising that they can and don't hold the license there are some very severe penalties if they are discovered.

I team up with a local, reputable, pesticide company and we do the inspection at the same time. I do the general home inspection and he does the WDO inspection. With both there at the same time it is much easier for all involved Agents, buyers and sellers.

Also, the $200 charge is very high. Our agreement for WDO inspections is only $45. when combined with our home inspection.

Best of luck with your new home.



Hound Dog Home Inspections


Answered 4 years ago by hounddoghi

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy