Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/8/2016

aim Looking for R22 for my home unit were can I get it from or do you know of anyone who can come and put it in

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Voted Best Answer

This is Brendon M. in Member Care.
I do apologize, but it does not look like you have a subscription with us to search.
If you would like to join for free with our Green level subscription and have us help you find top rated HVAC providers we would be happy to do so! Please contact us at 1-888-888-5478 or email us at A representative would be happy to go over some of our newer options and get you set up with a proper account.
Brendon M.

Answered 4 years ago by Member Services


Legally, you need an EPA 608 or 609 certificate (license) - type and class you need determined by whether appliance takes more than 5 pounds of gas or not, if buying over 20 poounds of gas at a time, and if for building A/C, appliance like reefer/freezer, or automotive A/C - to legally buy or install the gas.

However, even if you went to thetime and trouble of getting a license, as a DIY'er you would still need the lineset (gases, hoses, valves, etc) to fill the unit, flushing gas and instructions to get moisture/air out of the lines, likely a replacement filter/dryer canister, the info on how much the unit is supposed to get and the type of lubricating oil (if gas comes with oil in it), the temperature-pressure charts so you charge it to the correct pressure for the ambient temperature, and the high and low-side operating pressure to adjust the TXV valve to get it to correct operating conditions when it is running, etc.

That is why there are Heating and A/C contractors (your Search the List category).

Also - if you need more than a pound or so every 3-5 years (technically should not use ANY gas during operations but most systems lose a bit at fittings and such), then the leak should be tracked down and fixed FIRST, otherwise you are throwing away hundreds of $ in gas recharge and risk damaging the compressor if the amount of gas in the system gets critically low, because the gas carries the lubricating / anticorrosion oil around with it - lose the gas, lose lubrication, fry compressor.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy