Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/8/2013

average price for radon testing

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


I would recommend the first step would be a couple of short-term test kits available at most box and home improvement as well as online stores, about $15 each, including mail-in mailer and test fee. I would recommend getting a brand-name one like FirstAlert or Kiddee so you have some confidence in the results.

Place as recommended (commonly in the furthest, least-ventilated basement corner and at the indoor air intake for forced air furnace) for the specified time, then mail in. The test is predicated on the exposure for the specified test time, so do NOT let it sit longer thinking you will get better results - all that will do is results in a proportionally higher reading than it should be. I had one government customer who left 1 week kits in place for a month in a large facility to give a "better reading" - they were about to spent over a million $ needlessly because the reading came out about 50% above the trigger level when it was actually less than half the action level on the high-precision test taken to start detailed design of the ventilation system.

If lab test results are not in the worrisome zone, then nothing to worry about. If is, then you could buy one of the longer-term kits (about $40-50) that sit for several weeks to a month to give a more accurate exposure reading, placed where you got the highest reading before. If that comes back with disturbing results, then time for a radon abatement contractor. However, read the rest of this comment before doing that - if the first readings were just a bit high or worrisome, then if ventilation changes are in mind, I would consider doing them first, then whenn they are operating as intended, do the longer-term test to reflect the "new normal" conditions and to confirm they are going to do the job for you.

You need to use a little common sense in interpreting the results - if a crawl space or basement test comes in a little over the recommended level (says <100% over), but you do not spend any time in those areas to speak of, then your concern would be far less than if it was a regular living space where you spend a lot of time. Bear in mind the recommended exposure level has a significant conservatism built into it.

Also, radon exposure is cumulative - so your primary concern would be for areas like an in-home office, bedrooms, or kids playroom or rec room where a lot of hours are spent, or especially where young children might spend years of their lives.

For areas like a basement that is used only sporadically for a workshop or maybe a ping pong or pool table, if not way above the limit then just an active ventilation system to exchange air in the area during use periods would suffice - it could be connected to the light switch so it runs whenever the lights are on. However, you would want to make sure that any ventilation system (supplemental or whole-house) is not pulling its source air from areas with high radon and dispersing it throughout the house, so if you have a forced-air furnace or A/C system that pulls its air from that areas you would be more concerned than otherside.

I would suggest you do a bit of reading at one of the websites the EPA has on the subject - google this search term to locate them - home radon epa

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy