Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 12/19/2011

best thing to do for basement mold?

Have always had problems with basement leaking. We have drainage tile around our house and pump outside to that move water away from house. This helps from flooding but still have corners etc. with mold issues. We have a very high water table in our area and this will always be an issue. I read that mold test kits can be purchased at Home Depot. This is something I will be doing soon. Would you have any other suggestions or someone in our area that we might contact that would be informed about this matter. Thank you

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


First, you MUST stop the source of the mold. Mold required water/moisture, and something to "feed" on. You don't elaborate on if this is a finished or unfinished basement.
I am hoping un-finished. In which case, the mold has little to feed on. Therefore you need to deal with the presence of moisture. If the tile and sump are working, you need to address moisture in the air. You should have a dehumidifer that removed moisture from the air. Keep LOTS of air movement. Run the furnace in the "fan" setting. Also, install a UV light in the ductwork to kill mold spores.
You will need to have a professional remove/kill the mold that is present. I recommend having the house super-ozoneated. This will require you leave for a day or two. You might also consider running an ozone generator in the basement to maintian a mold unfriendly atmosphere.
Finally, consider a water repellant on the basement walls to reduce mositure thru the walls.
You have a difficult issue to deal with, however it is important for your health that you do so.

Answered 8 years ago by Belles Architecture

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy