Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/22/2016

bulkhead replacement companies in CT

had home inspection and request to replace bulkhead was made (selling house) . House built in 1971, original bulkhead . Considerable surface corrosion on inner surface of metal bulkhead. the door operting control springs physically damaged. Would need service asap.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers



This is James W. in Member Care. Thanks for your interest in Angie's List!

We'll be happy to help find top rated providers from our "Dock Building & Repair" category, but it doesn't look like you have a subscription to the List yet. You can join by visiting or by giving us a call. Our call center is available 8:00 am-9:00 pm weekdays and 8:00-5:00 pm ET on Saturdays.

Thanks for your question and we look forward to assisting you!

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services


Looks like the Angies List rep got caught up in the term "bulkhead" from a recent riverside erosion protection bulkhead question.

Obviously, Dock repair and construction is not the category you want for a bulkhead door - that would be a Door contractor (your Search the List category to find well-rated and reviewed vendors).

Or a repair general contractor (most realtors have a go-to GC for contingency repair work) to do the repair and repaint or new unit install, as applicable.

If you are the buyer and requested this be done as a contingency repair, your part is done - other than inspecting and accepting the repair. Assuming you are the owner, two choices - replacement by a Door contractor or a General Contractor - or if the door is intact and seals OK but is just rusty and needs new springs, have a Handyman or Painter abrasive brush or sandblast and prime / repaint the inside (or inside and outside both). And DIY or have Handyman or Door company replace the springs - usually not tough to do, and local door supply place or even maybe Home Depot or Lowes might have the springs - also online door supply places. In some areas where bulkheads are not as common some Garage Door companies do this sort of spring replacement.

Note if REPLACEMENT was requested, then if looking at repaint (maybe $400-800 range depending on depth of corrosion) rather than replace you would have to negotiate that with the buyer for concurrence on that fix before doing the repair route. New bulkhead, depending on size and whether only weathertight or truly watertight (for flooding areas) can run in the range of $1000-2000 commonly for lower end ones, and on up to $2500-5000 range installed for watertight/submersible models or if the concrete entry has to be redone because you cannot find a new unit to fit the existing concrete dimensions or concrete is too deteriorated.

Here are links to a few previous similar questions with answers FYI -

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy