Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/18/2017

can I get a refund from a contractor I got off Angie's List?

I hired this person as an Angie's list member to install a bi-fold door . He never returned to finish the work and when I
Hired a "real" contractor who knew what he was doing, he informed me the previous guy destroyed the frame and
it was obvious he didn't know what he was doing. The hardware is showing on the outside and the doors are uneven.
I would have never hired this man if he was not on your site with "A" . I"D like to know what recourse I have and if I can get a refund.? This is going to cost me additional money to fix.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Hello Carn,

Thank you for reaching out. Please contact us at to discuss your options.


Iann M

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services


Don't know why Iann did not eMail you with the options you have - depending on member class, the higher-cost paid memberships come with a guarantee on the work.

Otherwise, in addition to doing a bad Review on the contractor (see right end of green header bar - Write A Review - to let others know of the problem, you have a few recourses - bearing in mind of course the evidence would have dto be preserved till resolved in these cases.

0) convince him it is to his advantage to pay you back anything you paid him, plus to pay for you to have another contractor come do it right

1) file a complaint with the state licensing board (assuming he is a licensed contractor) - doing that might kick him into coming back to fix it right, IF you think he is capable - which sounds dubious in this case

2) file a claim with his Bonding company to have them pay to get another contractor in to repair the damage and do it right - he was bonded, right ?

3) file a claim with his insurance company (he was insured, right) for damages he caused.

4) file a Small lCLaims Court complaint against him for refund of anything you paid and for the damage repair - thenn taking the funds you get from that (and good luck on collecting - the court does not help you with that) and pay another contractor to repair the damage and do it right.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy