Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 11/19/2017

can a missing deflector for a pilot light on a gas heater cause it to not work?

deflector bends the gas flame to the thermo coupler to heat it. I cannot find a replacement for this.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Yes - if the thermocouple does not stay hot it does not generate the electricity (just milliamps) which allows the gas control valve to open. This is a safety measure so if the pilot goes out it shuts off gas flow to the appliance.

You could check owner's manual (if you have it in hand, or check on manufacturer website for it) and maybe you can order from the manufacturer or a website. However, I am guessing it is only available as part of the pilot assembly - the complete gas tube, pilot mounting and deflector assembly, and thermocouple - as low as about $15 in some cases like thisn one from Amazon -

sometimes (rarely) you have to buy the burner assembly to get it, so about $100 for the part in that case.

Of course you can get it online - or take out the burner and pilot assembly (if pilot is mounted to the burner) otherwise just the pilot assembly and tubes, and take to a distributor who handles that sort of equipment - generally a heating and ventilating supply store - or a plumbing supply place for boilers or water heaters, for instance. If off a gas stove then a gas and wood stove store/distributor.

Oh - BTW - the "finger" is a draft deflector - designed to keep drafts from blowing out the pilot, not designed to deflect the gas into the thermocouple, though it does also serve to confine the gas into a tight flame which maintains a stable flame to keep the thermocouple hot.

At least getting the part sounds like a good DIY job, because paying an HVAC tech or Plumber or Handyman to track one down might cost hundreds - the actual installation if you arenot ableto do that almost certtainly minimum trip charge of typically $75-150 except more in a few very high cost areas.

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy