Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/23/2011

contractors to landscape yard

I am looking for a company that will remove my deck and build a cobble stone or flag stone patio deck. I want to have walls about 3 to 4 feet high and steps up to flat stoned deck. around the deck will be area for us to plant flowers etc. Help me find reliable contracters please in the Federal Way area of washington

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


The most important thing to look for in ANY contractor is that he or she be licensed (where required by law) and insured. Ask for their insurance papers and do not use anyone who is not insured. In that way, you will have a legal recourse if any problems occur.

Answered 8 years ago by Labour of Love


Angie's List is the best source for finding reliable contractors for sure. I am not in your area but can tell you that you can get several if not dozens of estimates from contractors in your area by using the Angie's list service.

You may want to break your project up into several phases by using different contractors to complete the work. If you are getting quotes from companies that use subcontractors for part of your project - you can be paying up to 20% more.

For each estimate - ask for itemization. So if one company is charging more to remove the deck or add the landscaping you can either ask to match pricing from another company or use another company for those services.

The hardscaping is the most important part of your project as it can be done very very wrong. In most states anything more than 3" (from bottom of footing to top of wall), will require a permit and an engineers drawing. This is to prevent the wall from leaning or crumbling in the future. This is to protect homeowners from unqualified contractors installing shoddy walls.

Good Luck, I hope it helps

Answered 8 years ago by Dallas Curb Appeal

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy