Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 2/7/2018

cost of replacing a gas valve for fire place starter

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


IF this is an electronic/electrical controlled one, usually for a gas fireplace but sometimes on gas starters and also on combined starter/gas fireplace setups (which can be used as gas flame alone or as starter for logs) - commonly around $150-250 for the valve (billout rate), plus (assuming reasonably accessible) $100-150 labor charge (usually just minimum service call charge will do it). Can be up to 50% or so more for minimum service call labor in a few very high-cost urban areas - suburban NYC, BOS, SFO for instance.

If you mean just a manual shutoff valve, commonly on fireplace key-operated for child safety, more like $30-50 billout rate for the valve, same cost as above for replacement labor/trip charge for the Plumbing or Heating and A/C contractor (both types commonly do this type of work). If some facing stone or brick or such has to be chipped out to access and replace it (most times it is possible to sneak in from the fireplace side to replace it) then repair of the facing would be commonly $100-200 extra, by a Fireplace or Masonry contractor or Handyman.

IF your problem is the valve is there and presumably works but you have moved in and don't have the key or a rug rat hid it, Amazon and other plumbing sources have replacement "gas valve keys" for around $4-10 - determine both the center shaft shape and size (usually 1/4 or 3/8" hex or square) and the size of the access hole (which limits key OD). Also, ifdeeply recessed you will need an extended or "long" key. You can also commonly buy an extended-reach square- or hex-drive (1/4" drive) thin socket wrench socket which will fit.

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy