Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 12/14/2015

difference between ridge cap and roll over ridge cap

my roof is leaking at the top where the ridge cap is because cap doesnt cover where shingle start. A roofer looked at it and caulked the naked wood and told me a roll over ridge cap would be wide enough to cover the wood.
Is this a good option?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Sounds like the original installer either did not run the shingles all the way to the ridge as he should have, did not understand that the cap OVERLIES the top shingles, or cut the slot for the ridge vent too wide for the cap he used - though if that were the case I guess it would only be nailed at the rafters. Depending on type you have, roofer might well be able to remove the ridge cap, add water barrier (roof wrap or tar paper as applicable to your roof) and add a row or two of shingles as appropriate to go up to the ridge vent slot in the sheathing, then renail the cap.

Or, tear it off and replace with a wider one that covers the shingles that are there - I consider that a poor second alternative UNLESS the ridge slot was cut too wide for the one you have.

Personally, as long as he is careful removing it, I see no reason not to reuse the cap you have already paid for - have him remove it, add shingles up to the top on both sides, and replace it.

Personally, I do not like the rollout ridge vent products - flimsy, tend to not have the snow baffles to prevent snow blowin and rain splash entry, seem to peel off easier in high winds, and generally do not seem to move the air out of the attic as readily as the baffled open-passage cap types.

Not sure WHY the roofer did not offer those two options when he was there.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy