Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 11/20/2017

do contractors in california have to provide reciepts for materials if asked

my contractor claims he purchased materials on the job. I have provided all materials and have receipts to prove it

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Here are links to several previous questions related to that issue, FYI:

Basically speaking, if the job was flat cost (not cost-plus) then if he is saying he bought materials not originally planned on in the contract (i.e. he says you did not provide all he needed or scope changed) then that would call for a change order. He documents (in wrioting on a change order request) the added cost and you negotiate a price adjustment for the changes you agree to. But if he wants to be paid for them, he has to provide you with his invoice showing the costs (and any contractual markup on them), AND upon request provide the documentation from the suppliers showing the actual cost paid for them. In essence, if he wants your bucks, he has to prove that he is entitled to it.

If he refuses to provide proof of the materials he bought for the job (and be careful he is not providing receipts for stuff he bought to be used on another job), then deny his claim in writing on the basis he has failed to provide proof of the materials he bought for use on your job - and if he gets pushy tell him he is asking for a criminal fraud complaint against him. Course, about that time you also need to be getting an attorney because his likely next move will be a lien against your property.

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy