Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

 
 
or
Submit
Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/23/2015

does mold need to be tested before it is removed

i called for a mold removal specialist to come and remove the mold and remeadiate the mold. i was told a mold tester must come first .after receiving the report they would come out to fix it .is this the right procedure?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question


2 Answers

0
Votes

Hi this is Garrett K. with Angie's List. We have a guide page covering this topic. You can view that guide by following this link. Thanks!

Answered 4 years ago by garrettk

0
Votes

If you are asking for a house health test and improvement, then yes they need to sample and test various areas in the house to identify all the sources they can.


If you are paying them to remediate one specific area with obvious mold, then no - it is clearly there, which is what the test will show for sure - so should just remediate it. Depending on circumstances, may or may not be advisable to then, after the remediation, do a swipe test around the area to be sure they got it.


However - a word to the wise - basically speaking, a swipe test almost anywhere in a house will come back positive for mold because there are mold spores all through the air and on all surfaces all the time, so that test is not really very meaningful unless trying to identify the specific species for medical reasons. Actually the more meaningful test, until they come up with a mold-specific handy test kit, is damp swipe tests and then inspecting the wipe with a strong magnifying glass or microscope for visual indication of visible mold on it. Can also be done with hand-held magnifier on the wall itself. There are also spray-on indicators that make it highly visible in black light that clearly show where there is active mold growth of significance, though that cannot be used on all surfaces without damaging them. Also, blacklight will flouresce many dyes and inks and oils, so just because it glows does not mean it is mold - but with a bit of training it is pretty easy to detect if there is significant mold.


In most cases, the testing is superfluous - because the mold is clearly visible and there is an evident reason for it - either a fairly constant water source, or constantly high humidity.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD




Related Questions


Terms Of Use
|
Privacy Policy