Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/28/2016

electrical over haul

Contract Price : electrical over haul
proposes, to furnish all the labor and materials that  are required to complete the above named project and to execute the project in  strict conformity with all the plans, Invitation to Bid, and other specifications  provided by the Project Owner. Also, all laws, statutes, ordinances, rules, or  regulations of any governmental agencies or public authorities relating to the  Project will be followed.. 
1.  Get light in backroom working.  
2.  Rewire lines correctly. (Troubleshoot)
3.  Replace any grounded outlets that need to be changed to non-grounded outlets.
4.  Get outside light on back of house in operation. (Troubleshoot)
5.  Install GFCI for laundry circuit in basement.
6.  Install GFCI in kitchen.
7.  Run grounding conductor to water meter to code.
8.  Remove existing breaker panel and install new 100 amp breaker to code.
9.  Install new 100 amp meter can.
10. Re-splice all existing circuits in old panel and send to new panel.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


It appears you might have a slight misunderstanding - AL is not set up to allow you to post a job and get bids (other than with the SnapFix App where AL staff call around for you) - contractors do not hjave the time to constantly prowl here for job leads - plus this is a nationwide forum. You need to search and contact potential bidders yourself to come look at your job and bid on it.

You have a pretty good start on a scope of work to get several Electricians to bid on your work - Search the list under Electrical to find well-rated and reviewed ones to bid your job.

A few things that come to mind on yuour list:

#2 - rewire WHAT lines - do you mean entire house ? And do you mean correctly by polarity and grounding only, or totally to current code - which might mean total household rewiring. To adhere to code and regulations you need to specify if you mean minimum code for EXISTING system as it exists, or upgrading to current codes for new construction which is likely to mean MAJOR work if house is older than about late 1970's - likley probably total rewiring.

#3 - in a residence I can't think of any case where grounded outlets that should be changed to ungrounded - or did you mean grounding the ungrounded ones, which is the more normal scope for this type of work

$5/#6 - you say nothing about any outdoor or bathroom or other wet area (utility or mud room for instance) GFCI 's - if you mean to install GFCI's wherever the code calls for them, just say so rather than listing individually. Also on kitchen - countertop circuits only, or dishwasher and garbage disposal too - and ansl reefer and range hood and any other outlet within 6 feet of sink ? And you say nothing of AFCI's - they are now (2014 code) required a lot of places throughout the house - most outlets in fact, for new construction.

#7 - grounding to water meter is no longer legal if you mean electrical system grounding - has to go to a pair of 10' ground rods driven into the ground near the electrical meter base.

#8 - presume this is for a main breaker ? Not clear here if talking a 100A breaker/distribution box or a separate main service breaker panel.

#9 meter cans are scores of years passe - you mean a meter base if you mean the box the meter goes into - and specify if the above main breaker (if that is what you meant) can be part of the meter base box - cheaper that way if your local utility allows it (some do not).

#10 - OK - now I am thinking the 100A breaker and breaker panel in #8/9 you meant a new distribution panel - in which case unless your incoming service is limited to 100A by the power company, I would pay the minimal difference and get a 125 or 150A service and main breaker. Also on #10 - I doubt you will be able to "splice" in the old panel or want to - generally he would have to install junction bars in there to tie into with the old circuit and the jumpers to the new panel, which is not allowed in some area even that way. Generally, you would put in a brand new panel in the same spot and reconnect the old wiring to the lugs and bus bars in the new panel. Done with care for wht circuit wire you are running where this is readily done - typically leaving the expansion slots from the larger capacity box at the bottom for future circuit addition.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy