Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/27/2014

find a contractor expert in hot water radiant heat

I have a hot water radiant heat system recently installed which produces inadequate heat. I need a contractor who can diagnose the problem and fix it.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


This is a very common problem - a lot of HVAC contractors figure the heat load as for a baseboard system, not realizing that much of the heat is trapped in the floor system and "wasted" as far as response to thermostat call for heat, even though the heat eventually ends up largely within the overall building envelope so is not really "wasted" in the overall picture.

I have also runn into all to many contractors who think heat rises, therefore all heat in a heated slab must rise into the house - ignoring that a significant portion (far more than half) willnormally go into the ground from an in-slab system without adequate insulation under it.

Improper installation is also common - I have seen an alarming number of in-floor heating with the metal radiator panels put the wrong place - under the piping instead of over, or radiant barrier sheets over rather than under the piping in in-slab installations.

Realize if you change contractors instead of forcing the original contractor to make it work, you eliminate any chance of having him make it right. If he cannot fix it so it works suitably, I would file a claim with his bonding company to get it fixed at their cost.

Unfortunately, I don't think Angie's List can locate a qualified radiant heat specialist - you will probably have to google for plumbers and HVAC contractors in your area that advertise radiant heat systems, then read up on their reviews in Angie's List to see what dsort of comments there are on radiant system work.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy