Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/28/2016

foundation parge

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


And your question is ... ?

Contractor would be a General Contractor or a Foundation Repair contractor (for digging down to expose it and getting the parging done by a Mason and then backfilling (with french drain if needed). For exposed above-ground part only Masonry would be your Search the List category.

Why you would WANT parging, unless just wanting to up exposed concrete or block foundation above ground level, is another matter. Normally, except for above architectural purpose, parging is only used on foundations what have a LOT of voids in them - really poor concrete, or sometimes native stone walls where the surface mortar coat has broken away. And parging (as a finish coat, not as a bonding layer) is not a "structural" fix - it will fill voids, but does not add significant strength to the wall.

In modern practice, if waterproofing is the goal, parging only makes a foundation water resistant so it still transmits signfiicant water vapor - is not waterproof. For waterproofing you want a bitumastic coating, and/or a synthetic waterproofing membrane applied to the foundation - typically with a french drain at the base of the footer level to remove the water from that area, because generally a damp/wet foundation wall also means the water is making its way up through the basement slab so you need a french drain to remove the water at the base of the foundation so it cannot get in under the slab.

You can find a lot of prior questions with answers on basement/foundation water issues in the Home > Basement Waterproofing link in Browse Projects, at lower left.

If the above did not answer to your specific issue, you can use the yellow Answer This Question button right below your question to respond back in the same question "thread" with more explanation of what your issue and question are, and I will try to give you a response more directly addressing your issue.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy