Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 6/30/2013

hairline cracks in drywall

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

Voted Best Answer

If truly hairline, especially if straight (probably following drywall joints), probably from normal house settlement and wood expansion and contraction, especially if house is either less than 2-3 years old or over 20-30, or if you have had unusually hot or cold weather this year. If diagonal at interior door frames, then almost always from differential settlement. Most common in houses supported on many piers, or with long joist spans so the center of the house sags, making diagonal cracks at doors parallel to the joists - usually upward from the corner closest to the center of the house. Diagonal cracks extending across large portions of walls indicates significant settlement that should be looked into professionally, as should any crack that is crushing the drywall into a crumbling and bulging zone rather than an opening up of a tension crack.

For repair, you want a painter if you want the cracks filled and then the paint matched.

If you want to do yourself, use drywall compound (if a lot of cracks) or spackle (if just a few) to fill the cracks, then prime and paint to suit. Some of them may come back over the years.

If that is a problem, than you can learn to do drywall seam taping on web videos, or call a plasterer to put reinforced tape over the cracks (reduces the chance of crack coming through the repair) and smooth the seam out, then prime and paint it yourself or call a painter. Some painters will do this type of seam repair, but most don't have the plastering experience to want to take it on.

Answered 7 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy