Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 10/30/2016

have a leak on front of house who do I call to trace and fix the leak

When it rains at the front of the house we get a leak at the frame of the 1st floor window and over the frame of the basement window. i know that water travels the path of least resistance and need help to find the origin of the leak. Who do I call to help?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Assuming this is from water hitting the siding - you could tellthat if it only happens in blowing rain, not verticla calm rain or melting snow (assuming your roof has at least some overhang). Could also tell by going in the attic (if accessible) during/after a leak event and looking for wetting of the underside of the roof sheathing or the rafters, wet insulation, or mold or mildew - visible or smelled in the attic. Note the actual leak through the roof could be anywhere from the peak/ridgeline down to the eaves, because the water can run under the shingles or the water barrier (tarpaper or whatever you have under the shingles) and sometimes quyite a distance on top of the sheathing at well, plus if a fairly minor leak can run on the underside of the sheathing or along the bottom edge of rafters all the way down to the eaves. Commonly it drops down into a wall once it hits the wood blocking between rafters/trusses or bug screening at the eaves. If coming from the attic like that, or due to overflowing gutters dumping water onto the side of the house, then you need a Roofer or a Gutter contractor, respectively.

The normal best people to fix this if it is from water hitting the siding and getting into the house at the flashing/waterproofing above the window would be a Window contractor, or secondly a Siding contractor, because they are the ones who seal the window/siding against water infiltration when windows are installed. However, if the problem is siding leakage, then a Siding contractor, so hard to tell which yuou need unless you can see visible damage from the ground, ladder, or with a hand mirror taped to a stick held out the window to look on top of the window frame.

In reality, except for warranty work, it is commonly tough to get either a Window or a Siding contractor out for this sort of problem, so if no luck there you might be stuck going with a Handyman - who might be useless or might be as good as a Window or Siding guy, depending on his experience and his knowlege of how window water sealing/barriers work.

Here are links to a few other similar previous questions with answers FYI - some might, some might no t apply to your case but they will give you ideas of what the issue might be, how to recognize it, and possible solutions:

Answered 4 years ago by LCD



This is James in Member Care. Thanks for your interest in Angie's List!

We'll be happy to help find top rated service providers to help you with that leak, but it doesn't look like you have a subscription to the List yet. You can join by visiting or by giving us a call. Our call center is available 8:00 am-9:00 pm weekdays and 8:00-5:00 pm ET on Saturdays.

Thanks for your question and we look forward to assisting you!

Answered 4 years ago by Member Services

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy