Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/31/2016

how do I Find an engineer to draw plans for a 1000sf Hair salon ?

I have a salon Design.My Plumber says he needs engineered plans submitted to the city before he can bid the job.
I need to find someone to draw engineered Plans for me
Can you help ?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


While some engineering might be needed (you don't say where you got your "design" - or do you mean a conceptual layout drawing or sketch ?), that would not be your primary type of design professional for this work.

You need a commercial Architect (your Search the List category, though Angies List is keyed to residentail, not commercial vendors - but ones listed there might be able to refer you to a small commercial job architect) - or if new building construction rather than a remodel of existing commercial space, an Architect-Engineer firm, to prepare architectural and structural drawings as required - which will be needed to get building permits, and also for you selected prospective contractors to bid on, and the successful ones to build to. The plans would have structural, geotechnical/ foundation info if new construction, roofing, drywall, siding, window and door, plumbing, electrical, HVAC, fire protection, interior and exterior finishes, specialty equipment, parking and paving, landscaping, signage, etc all shown and with specifications, as applicable.

Cost for the design and plans varies a lot depending on the scope, whether new construction or just an interior remodel, your local building department attitudes, etc - but commonly in the 5-15% of total construction cost range for most jobs.

Also, unless this is a very minor remodel - unless you are acting as General Contractor yourself (rarely even allowed on commercial jobs, and not a beginner thing to take on) you will need a General Contractor to run the job and coordinate the various trades.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD



This is James in Member Care. Thanks for your interest in Angie's List!

As previously mentioned, Angie's List focuses on consumer and residential services. However, we'd be tp give you information on highly rated providers who do the type of work relevant to your needs so you may contact them and see if they do this type of job, but it doesn't look like you have a subscription to the List yet. You can join by visiting or by giving us a call. Our call center is available 8:00 am-9:00 pm weekdays and 8:00-5:00 pm ET on Saturdays.

Thanks for your question and we look forward to assisting you!

Answered 4 years ago by Member Services

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy