Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 2/25/2014

how can I cover some fake brick wall paneling in my kitchen

The previous owner put a ugly flat brown "brick looking" paneling in the kitchen- even along the wall under the cupbards. It is the kind that has 3D dimension to it. So it is 1/2 inch deep too. Help!.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


You can cover it with some drywall if the surface can be leveled but that will probably change the reveal a bit.

Probably better to just tear it off and sheetrock it.

Answered 6 years ago by WoWHomeSolutions


If this is a "panel" product, usually it is not fastened on real well - typically just nailed with maybe some edge caulking. If the stock-on individual bricks or the roughly foot by two foot interlocking piece type, they are usually put on with mastic glue. It commonly pops off fairly easily with a wide, stiff putty knife slipped down behind it, though you WILL damage the drywall so that will need repair if not covering with another backsplash or whatever. If it does not come off easy, a steamer aimed down behind a started corner will usually soften it easily - most of that type mastic, unless they used thinset grout, are water soluble to at least some extent.

In removing it, be sure to incise a good cut into the drywall next to it to prevent tearing the paper off the adjacendt drywall (if any) while removing it.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy