Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/4/2016

how do I repair a whole that is in a cast iron pipe

The pipe is used through out the house as the main air chamber

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


I presume you are talking about the vent stack - which rises through the roof to vent the DWV system. I would be a bit concerned about why this pipe got a hole (unless you are talking a cracked joint or pipe) because generally it should not be getting flow that could cause erosion or corrosion.

Anyway - Plumber can usually fix this for about $250-500 depending on accessibility, where leak is (on pipe run or fitting), and on whether you choose to patch or replace the bad section, and of course how big the bad area is which one would not know untill they cut out the bad section. Of course, if all your DWV (drain, waste, vent) pipe is badly corroded you then will have to decide whether to just patch that one place, or look at a total DWV system replacement which can runn into the several thousand $ pretty quick, especially if the underground portion is also shot.

DIY - there are epoxy wraps that can be put around leaks that might last 10-15 years or so. Also, if just a spot corrosion hole in a pipe, you can put a rubber boot with stainless steel metal clamps around it and tighten it down snugly, bearing in mind that you may have more corrosion elsewhere in the system - and don't get carried away with tightening it down because the corroded area around the hole is probably weak also - you don't want to crush the pipe. Bear in mind, any patch type fix - as opposed to replacing the coroded pipe piece, means you may well get another leak in the future right near the spot that first holed through.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy