Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 6/22/2013

how much does it cost to add an outside spigot

Need to add an outside water spigot to the back yard as the other two spigots just aren't in the right places to allow hose access to the back yard area.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Depends largely on how far it is from the nearest full-diameter (sometimes sinks and toilet feeds use smaller diameter pipe unsuitable for yard watering) cold water pipe to the wall you want the spigot on (in the trade called a 'hose bib or silcock"), and whether exposed piping can be run (as through a garage or crawl space, for instance) or if opening up a wall or ceiling is necessary to run the pipe.

In the best case, a short run of pipe from say a utility room or open-joist basement or crawl space with wood framed exterior wall where bib will go, could run you around $100-150. If through concrete or concrete block (CMU) wall probably about $50 more, and if requires running through finished walls than could run up to about $300, PLUS the cost for you to bring in plasterer, painter, etc to repair the holes in the wall the plumber had to make to run the pipes.

Obviously, the more flexible you are about where the faucet can go, the better the chance of an easy installation without having to tear into walls and ceilings.

If you are looking at heavy-duty watering (say a large lawn with long-reach rainbird rotating sprinkler, or multiple hoses in use at same time on one faucet), you are in a low water pressure area, or will be filling an above-ground pool with it, you might want to specify a "garden faucet" rather than a "hose faucet" - about $15-25 more expensive, but has larger flow-through capacity by about 25-50%.

Be sure if you live in an area where it gets below freezing for more than a few hours a night to go with a self-draining frostless fitting - the actual shutoff point is well inside the house, and it self-drains when turned off (assuming the hose is disconnected) so your faucet does not freeze up and burst, causing a flood in your wall.

It is a good idea to put a splash block under the faucet in case it leaks at the hose connection or a kid leaves it partly on after taking some water, so any water is directed away from the foundation rather than possibly leaking into the basement or crawl space through the foundation - plastic ones cost about $20 at box stores.

Answered 7 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy