Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/7/2013

how much should it cost to intall new service entrance cable and new meter box @ 150amperes

meter box is on outside of house

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


To be sure terminology is right - service entrance cable usually means the wiring from the service drop (where the power company cable ends - either at a weatherhead or a meter disconnect box, and from there into the main distribution (breaker or fuse) box. And by meter box you mean just the box, not the meter itself - that presumably by the power company ?

On that basis, around $700-1000, assuming the distribution box is just a few feet from the meter/master breaker box and readily pulled through the same opening.

I would question whether you need a new master breaker box too - probably if upgrading capacity, and certainly larger breakers - I included that in the above $.

New weatherhead and mast and drop conduit, if needed - another $200-300 roughly.

This all assumes reasonably small municipality and utility company permit/inspection fees - in some areas (Northeast especially) tose can run $200-500, so add that if applicable in your area.

I would question why 150A service - if replacing, the standard household service these days is up to 200A from 100A, and 325A for larger or electronics-prewired homes. Even if your distribution box is not rated for 200A, I would upgrade the service to 200A (maybe $100 extra cost) and just install a 150A breaker if that is your maximum connected box load. That way, to add an upgrade breaker panel in the future, one would only need to change the breaker out. Of course, if this is part of a general upgrade, I would go 200A all around.

Answered 7 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy