Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/18/2014

how much should it cost to repair water heater closet drywall and floor

black mold everywhere floor rotted drywall is even missing from water leaking for so long. Closet is 24''-24'' -72'' all drywall damaged

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Figure probably about $500-1000 for a mold and mildew contractor to tear it out and disinfect it ASSUMING it is limited to that room, because most general contractors and drywall people would not handle that type of situation.

Then in the range of $2-4/SF for the drywall replacement, plus a couple $/SF for prime and two-coat water-resistant paint. Could easily double that amount if the studwall needs to be replaced, plus the additional cost for replacement of the drywall on the other side of the wall. For budgeting purposes, I would assume the entire wall needs to be torn out (including both sides drywall) and replaced, if you have heavy black mold everywhere.

Flooring can run from about $10-15/SF for a small area like that for just the subfloor sheathing replacement, on up into a whole lot more if floor joists or such need replacing or if the sheathing has to be replaced under a wall that is not being replaced.

You might find a Remodel - General contractor to do this sort of job, but it is also possible that a Smoke and Water damage contractor would be your best bet. The advantage of the general contractor, even though the tearout would probably be done by a sub, as he is commonly better experienced and able to do flooring structural repairs, though some smoke and water damage contractors are fully capable of doing structural repairs also.

The bad news, which you may already know - since this is from a long-term leak, almost certain that your homeowners insurance will NOT cover it. Check that out yourself first BEFORE calling them - because if not covered no sense calling them as it will undoubtedly count as a claim regardless of whether or not y

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy