Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 2/25/2018

how much would it cost to run new electric service from existing power pole approximately 1000 ft. in nc.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Can be anywhere from near zero with utility companies not looking for revenue and figuring they will recoup the cost in electricity usage fees, on up to maybe $40,000 range - more in rare cases.

VERY rough numbers - commonly about $5-10/LF for overhead runs (meaning new poles typically every 100-300 feet, possibly more in high tree area), plus $500-3000 per pole needed depending on length (probably about 36-40' tall minimum for your area if not rural but can be much more in heavily treed areas, so closer to $500-1000 range per pole probably, installed). Can be over 10-20 times that in rare cases like if they have to be installed in hard to access ground which requires blasting in bedrock for the hole and helicopter to install the pole. Plus commonly $1000 range for the connection, pedestal or weatherhead, etc. In areas where taller than normal poles are needed because of vegetation or rough terrain, sometimes it becomes a matter of paying more for taller but fewer poles and installing guywire bracing on the poles and suspending the electric line from wire cable to extend the allowable span to clear obstructions or avoid putting poles in very hard to reach or environmentally inaccessibel areas. I have paid as much as $100,000 each to put in ordinary transmission voltage power poles in remote/rural areas where it was necessary to use 100'+ poles for clearances and to get long spans.

I also did not talk about land access/vegetation clearing - creating the physical right-of-way might well be a good thousand to few thousand or more for a new 1000' run if not along an established cleared road right-of-way. Sometimes accessibility issues and spans and obstructions and such dictate an alternate (longer than direct) routing to minimize cost.

Underground runs commonly about $20-40/LF plus commonly in the $1000 range for connection and pedestal and such - another $1000 range if you need a dedicated transformer, because that is too long a run for most utilities to agree to put in 240V - most will want 480 to 4160V branch transmission line to your house, then transformer to step it down. Even if they will agree to a 480 run to your house, the economics of probably around a 750MCM cable at about $15-20/LF bare overhead or $40-60 underground (for the wire alone) makes that probbly a no-go. ALmost guaranteed to be better to bring in higher voltage (commonly about 4160V) on the overhead, then step down to the 240V or rarely (some farms and such) 480V needed for your place wtih a transformer within 100 feet or so of the house.

How much is done by your contractor and how much by utility depends on the utility - most have their "termination point" at your meter box and they own the meter itself, but others allow or require you get a line elecrtrical contractor (not your normal household electrician) to install all the wiring and such and they just do the hookup. In that case, the "termination point" may be at your meter, or may be at the polethey come off for you your service.

Of course, if this run would be along a road rather than across your private land, or is running into an undeveloped subdivision say, it is much to your advantage to convince them to bring their transmission lines, as their cost, as close to your house as possible (set up to service other customers in the future), so you would only be paying for your service drop from the closest pole or transformer to your house - can drop it from the $5,000-$40,000 rangeor more potentially for 1000', down to a thousand or few for maybe a typical 100' or so run to your house from their system. Ideally, with some companies, you might end up paying only a few hundred connection and meter installation fee andthe rest would be on them - worth trying to negotiate, or have your architect or general contractor try on your behalf.

Below are a couple of previous related questions with answers FYI - but contacting the utility (usually Engineering department though some larger ones have a dedicated New Service Department) to find out the ins and outs of how they operate on this - manu electric companies commonly have a webpage or more on the specific subject of new residential services.Of course, you have to know in dvance what power load you want to wire for - 100A, 200A, 400A service or something in between, or possibly even more if for working farm or such.

Answered 2 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy