Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/22/2014

how do i find a third party moving insurance company?

The moving company I want to use offers third party insurance for moving damages; however, the company whose insurance they sell is not licensed to do business in my state.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

4 Answers

Angie's List Member Answer

Angie’s List Members can login here to view this answer.

Not an Angie's List Member?

Join to view this answer. Members also get reviews on local service providers, plus save up to 50% on popular home projects from top-rated professionals!


Some homeowner's companies will sell it as a rider to your homeowners/renters policy. Not cheapest but probably more likley to pay off without major hassles than third-party ones. You can also google "moving insurance" and find a number of third-party vendors, and a few lists ranking them.

Two important things -

1) commonly the "moving" insurance only covers so many storage days total as part of the move - you have to buy storage insurance if longer.

2) remember any sort of valuables, etc need special coverage - and their definition of "valuables" is pretty strict, commonly around $250 for any one item, which means most large furniture and most jewelry and many memorabilia items and even some clothing items are in that category. Also, note movers tend to mark pretty much all furniture items as scratched, dented, chipped, gouged, stained, etc - so the only time you are likely to recover on either the mover's (typically 60¢/lb) or secondary insurance is for actual destruction, major breakage, immersion, or fire. You should take pictures before the movers arrive of as much as you can, certainly the larger and more breakable items.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD


Two of the three suggested insurance providers are also moving companies. The third, Smedley, shows nothing on their website that suggests that they will insure goods during a move as a separate third party provider. If all I need is insurance against loss or theft during the move why isn't this sort of insurance easy to shop for? My homeowners insurance provides no coverage and won't even offer a rider. Why are there no major insurance companies offering this? The only providers I see on the web could all be scamers. Why is there no list?

Answered 5 years ago by Guest_9463303



This is Kelly M. in Member Care. I'm happy to help!

Since many independent homeowners insurance agencies will offer this kind of coverage (even if yours does not), you might consider starting there. Here are some providers who might be able to help:

Ranj Puthran - Allstate Insurance

815 W Carmel Dr.

Carmel, IN 46032
(317) 844-4683

Zionsville Insurance Agency

260 S 1st St.

Zionsville, IN 46077
(317) 733-0550

Indiana Farm Bureau Insurance

225 S East St

Indianapolis, IN 46206
(800) 723-3276

You may also want to check out this article Angie's List published about this topic:

Answered 5 years ago by Member Services


If you have any other questions, feel free to post here or email us at We're happy to help!

Thanks again, and have a good day!

Answered 5 years ago by Member Services

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy