Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/8/2013

how much to raise a house 7 feet

trying to go above FEMA base sealevel estimate for my property

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


I don't know the name of it, but the National Flood Insurance program has a booklet on this. You not only have to raise your house (including floor beams) above flood level, but the support structure also has to be designed to handle flood flow and debris loads. Therefore, in addition to raising the house, you will need to either raise the ground level around your house the 7 feet, either as a mound under the house or as a dike around the house (requires floodplain construction permit), build a non-living-space concrete or reinforced concrete block wall foundation from the existing foundation up to the new subfloor level, or put in appropriately designed pilings for the house to sit on, and a designed access stair system that accounts for debris entrapment and loads.

In some river floodplain areas the land raising, dike, and solid sub-basement options are not allowed, as it restricts the flow of floodwaters. Also, in hurricane/storm surge/tsunami areas the piling solution is the one usually used, as the storm loadings are much less so areeasier to design for, and the piling is easier to get below storm scour level with.

I would first talk to the local floodplain amangement agency in your area. You also need to consider whether your homeowners insurance company will insure your modified home for non-flood issues after your changes. Then you need to talk to an architect or civil engineer in your area who is experienced with designing this kind of fix, both fromthe aspect of what type fio fix will work for you, but also whether the house is worth the cost involved.

I hate to say it, unless you have just a small beachside bungalow, what with all the structural and utility modifications but I can't imaging this costing less than $25-50K, and can run over $100K for a large home.

Answered 7 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy