Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 11/11/2016

how much to remove a boilermate in-direct hotwater heater and install a 40 gal. electric hot water heater with elec

I have a leaking amtrol boiler mate with a b/g ciculator, How much should it cost to remove old in-direct and put in a 40 gal. electric hot water heater . must run electrical about 25ft from electrical panel....I am moving out of house in 3 weeks,just need to get hot water back in the house CT. area

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Certainly more than replacing the Amtrol leaking tank (which may be a production or design problem with them because this is probably the 6th or so Amtrol leaking indirect water heating tank I have heard of in the past year or less). Just replacing that probably about $1500-1800 in normal sizes.

For domestic hot water alone (though why that would be on an indirect system I caqn't imagine), I would say around $2000-2500 ballpark - because the water heater itself would be around $1000-1500 with normal installation, electrical (and this assumes your breaker panel has the breaker slots available AND the amperage capacity for electric water heater) probably around $300-400 with surface-mount conduit - more like $500 for the electrician if it means putting the wiring into the wall, plus maybe a couple hundred drywall repair and touchup painting. Plus $200-400 more for the removal and disposal of the existing indirect unit and tank and replumbing back to direct domestic hot water feed. Check right off whether the plumber/HVAC installer will sub out the electrical or if he wants you do get that done yourself - because that could be a time crunch item if you assume he will and then he says you need to arreange for it - three weeks lead time for all this is not a lot.

If current electric system does not have the capacity to add an electric water heater, then to upgrade your system to handle it can run from bare minimum of about $500 more (adding a secondary panel IF you service feed has the capacity) to several thousand possibly if your main service has to be upgraded too - which is not an uncommon thing if the house was built for gas appliances rather than electric.

If this system includes hot water heating for the house (baseboard or in-floor hydronic heating system) and that runs off a water heater rather than a boiler or if you are going to keep the existing boiler for the hydronic system and connect only domestic hot water to the new water heater, then likely more like $2500-3000 ballpark to get that back to correct individual domestic and hydronic system configuration - including the aforementioned new domestic hot water heater.

I really think you need to look at whether this is domestic hot water only or if, as is far more usual for indirect fired hot water systems, if it is serving both domestic and hydronic heating off same system. Generally indirect is used for the latter in residential applications - so I suspect your current boiler is handling both, so taking out the tank system and going to a water heater is either going to need a very large water heater to provide the amount of lower-temp hot water that will be needed to service the normally around 200 degree hydronic system, or you are going to end up without house heating.

Note also, since you talked about running electric for the hot water heater, that presumably means the existing is gas fired - which unless propane (depending on electric rates) is almost always cheaper than electric water heating.

Heating and A/C would be your normal best Search the List category for a contractor to handle it all - Plumbing would be the secondary but likely to have to arrange for the electrical yourself and coordinate the capacity/connection point with the plumber.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy