Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 2/2/2015

how to repair cracks in cinder block foundation

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


That is a pretty wide open question - no pun intended.

If you mean minor hairline cracks along the grout lines, and not leaking - regular concrete repair grout can fix that. If crack(s) are too small to force any grout into, then for a cosmetic repair and to keep insects out only you can use latex concrete caulk - dries to concrete color, comes in regular caulk tubes.

If leaking water, then probably needs either an exterior waterproofing job (or diversion of water away from foundation, if possible), or an injection of grout or waterstop resin into the cracks. More details on that issue and on controlling water infiltration in general in the Home > Basement Waterproofing link in Browse Projects, at lower left.

If wide open cracks (more than pencil lead width) or cracking/breaking through any blocks, definitely time for a Structural Engineer to look at it, because you likely have a serious situation going on. If breaking only along joints (not through blocks) but for a good portion of wall height, along a substantial portion of wall width horizontally on any joint line, diagonally along joints, or cracking is extending noticeably in a short timeframe (as opposed to over many years) then that is usually indicative of settlement which may or may not need structural remedial measures. When a Structural Engineer is needed in this sort of case is a judgement call - if more than hairline cracking, noticeably wider at one end of crack than other, multiple cracks, opening up noticeably over months (or less) rather than decades, foundation wall is bowing or arching, or if more than 3 feet long would be my general criteria for having an engineer look at it for sure. Typically about $150-250 for a site inspection - plus design cost only if significant remediation is needed.

If you want to respond back with more details of what you are seeing, reply back using the Answer This Question link right below your question. You can attach photos using the leftmost yellow icon over the My Answer box when replying, if you want.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy