Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

 
 
or
Submit
Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/1/2013

how safe is the inside of your house if mold is in a closed stairwell?

mold in stairwell how safe?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question


4 Answers

0
Votes

If t

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

0
Votes

If it's actually mold, you should take action. Mold gives off spores that become airborn, so it will travel. Some people are much more allegic to molds then others,si symtoms vary a lot.



I'd contact a mold specialist,to have it accessed,as soon as possible.







Source: www.bayareacool.com

Answered 6 years ago by BayAreaAC

0
Votes

Sorry - my answer got cut off. As the other response says, mold spreads by spores, so any disturbance will spread a significant number. However, the spores also become airborne by themselves. While there are mold spores in the outside air all the time, they usually do not cause visible mold in a house because they lack two things - protection from bright light (room lighting strength for about 6 or more hours a day) and moisture. These two latter factors are why modl grows in bathrooms so easy - light is usually off, and ample moisture source from baths and showers.

If you have mold in the stairwell, it is probably dark most of the time, and must have moisture available if mold is growing. Unless the stairwell has no ventilation to remove air moisture, you should be looking for a source of moisture. If the mold is only in one isolated area, check if there might be water coming through the wall from foundation seepage, leaking pipe, etc ?

Having visible mold is a should-cure issue, especially if you have anyone in the house who is very young or old, or has compromized immune system or breathing or lung issues. However, mold (especially black mold, which grows where there is longer-term free water such as from pipe leaks) can cause lung issues with people of any age, and there is some question whether esposure to black mold might be a cause of asthma.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

1
Vote

The short answer is that it is not safe. Now that I have given the short answer let me qualify a bit. It does not really matter if it is a closed stairwell or one that is used on a regular basis. Mold is for the most part microscopic and so infiltration into the living space is going to occur. The closed door may limit the exposure but chronic low exposure is often as bad or worse than acute immediate exposure. In additon there has to be a moisture source that is contributing to the mold growth and so you should have someone evaluate the location. That moisture may just be elevated relative humidity in the space because it is closed off or because you are not in the space regularly there may be a leak you are unaware of. I would suggest getting a professional to evaluate and provide feedback.

Answered 6 years ago by MoldNMore




Related Questions


Terms Of Use
|
Privacy Policy