Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/12/2014

how can i stop smoke coming in the vents

i live in a condo and cigarette smoke is coming through my vents from other condos. what can i do?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


What the HVAC set up like? Are you on a shared plenum?

Is it coming through the actual vents or just around the duct boots?

Answered 6 years ago by WoWHomeSolutions


Like WowHomeSolutions said - if coming in through electrical outlets and around the duct itself, not through the vents, then expanded foam insulation and weatherstripping can cut that back, but will not eliminate it totally. Works best if done on the smoker's walls and ducts, not yours. If through the ducts itself, then you are probably on a combined ventilation system, so his return air is mixed with fresh air and your return air and reheated or cooled and recirculated to everyone on the system. Remember when smoking was allowed on planes - same issue.

Assuming smoking is allowed in your condo agreement, if in the ducts all you can do is install HEPA (High Efficiency Particulate Air) filters, which normally means modifying the fan in your HVAC system at a minimum, because the normal fans do not have enough power to push/pull the air through HEPA filters. Cost in ballpark $300-500 range. It is likely that a filter alone will not do it - will probably have to install an ionizing electrostatic air filter, which can remove a vast percentage of the smoke, though some odor will still get through - from $500 to $1000 range complete.

Other alternative, in some states it is illegal to smoke in a building where the circulation system is shared with another residence. May be enforced by condo association, or if they will not enforce it then health department or building department depending on locale. Of course, your neighbor to neighbor relations are likely to degrade a bit if you invoke that.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy