Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 3/8/2015

i need an attorney for pension papers taxes ect .my husband just passed away and i need help with legal paper.

Advice on taxes , pension papers,death benefit ins,taxes, my home mortgage changing ect

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


Sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately, Angies List does not list/rate legal services or attorneys, so you will have to go to family, friends, neighbors, coworkers for recommendations. Or maybe people you associate with at a Senior Center possibly, who have gone through the same situation.

You are looking for a Probate Attorney - who can help with establishing the Estate in the courts and filing required paperwork, identifying and transferring assets, administering his Will and any Trusts that might exist, notifications to financial institutions, and with preparing any Estate Tax or Gift Tax returns that are necessary, as well as linking you up with a CPA or tax preparer for the normal income and any business tax returns that have to be filed. After things are well in hand, can also help you with your own advance Estate planning and with setting up trusts for children/grandchildren if applicable.

Considering the time of year, probably one of the first priorities aside from keeping current bills paid and ensuring you have operating cash to live on for the next few months while things are administered, would be filing an extension for personal and any business taxes due April 15th, so you are not exposed to penalties for late filing and underpayment of taxes.

Another high priority would be modifying your health insurance policy to reflect fewer covered people, to get your premiums to the new correct amount, and filing claims on any life insurance policies as that is commonly one of the first source of substantial funds that is available soon after death - commonly in a couple of weeks after presentation of a death certificate to the carrier.

Answered 5 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy