Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 1/19/2017

i need a plumber who does water mains from the street to the house in hudson county new jersey 07047

This is a existing home 2 family. There is currently water being feed from another home that was all owned by one owner at one time. the property has been split and a curb box has been installed. I now need 75feet of 1 inch water line installed so I can be separate from the other house.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

2 Answers


Most Plumbing contractors do this type of work - though most either ask you to get an excavation contractor yourself to do the ditching or sub contract the excavation portion out rather than do it themselves (for a newline install or replacement, as opposed to a spot repair, which they will sometimes dig themselves if not too deep), so if you want a single point of contact and responsibility then a General Contractor would be what you need - preferably one with a small backhoe like on a utility tractor, assuming you are not in shallow bedorck country. Though if you can get a real close electronic locate of the curb box (probably surface visible box or valve operator casing stickup) and also of where the existing pipe from the other house is and where you want to tie into it, you might be able to get an excavation contractor to dig the ditch for the new line per alignment and grade set out by the plumber (generally not too critical on water lines as long as its minimum depth is enough to be below frost penetration depth for your area) in advance of the plumber showing up to lay the line and hook it up and chlorinate and test it.

Then, once the ditch is dug close to (and without hitting) the existing line, the plumber could come in another day and hand dig the rest of the way to the water line (or if he does not want to do that, have excavation contractor do the final hand digging to expose the existing line at house and curb box) and then the plumber installs the piping and hooks up and tests the new line, then excavation contractor comes back within a day or so to do the backfilling and topsoiling and such.

Certainly simpler to have it all done by one contractor (plumber or general contractor), especially if bedding the pipe in proper pipe bedding to avoid damage from rocks in the native soil - and it avoids scheduling conflicts or confusion, and any question of who is responsible for what part of the work.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD



This is Erick in Member Care. Thanks for your interest in Angie's List!

We'll be happy to help find top rated Plumbers to assist with your needs, but it doesn't look like you have a subscription to the List yet. You can join by visiting or by giving us a call. Our call center is available 8:00 am-9:00 pm weekdays and 8:00-5:00 pm ET on Saturdays.

Thanks for your question and we look forward to assisting you!

Answered 3 years ago by Member Services

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy