Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 7/11/2016

if my junker travel trailer is being hauled away, does something need to be done about the title ?

HiLo travel trailer has been stripped and is beyond repair. Someone is willing to haul it away but I want to know if there needs to be a title transfer ? If not, how should the trailer be labeled to be towed on the road ?

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

Voted Best Answer

Absolutely - not only so you don't have to keep paying registration fees or property taxes on it, but also should be transferred BEFORE he hauls it off, so if there is an accident on the road YOU are not responsible for payment - oh, and don't forget to cancel any insurance on it also. And remember - you are undoubtedly talking about having to take care of both TITLE and REGISTRATION, not just title.

In probably all states you sign the back of the title transferring the title to the buyer, and he/she takes it in to get a new title - or you go in together and do it there (best route if getting paid for the vehicle like selling a car, so you can go to the bank for him/her to get the money or cashier's check to hand over to you when the title is signed and transferred at the DMV). In some states there is a form you as the owner sign and file with the DMV that the vehicle has been sold and to whom, which they match up on the records with the old title when the new owner brings it in to be registered in his name - commonly requires a xerox copy of the old title with your transfer signature on it (which has to be notarized in at least some states) be filed with it so be sure you check out the rules and forms BEFORE you turn the title over to the owner.

Be SURE to get this done right - because if he sells the frame to someone who converts it back into a new trailer or rebuilds the trailer frame into say a flatbed or toy hauler instead of junking it, your name could still appear on the title and you could be held responsible in event of an accident - and for not having it insured properly too, in that case. Remember, once out of your hands you have no control over it, so you should also not hold the title once it has been hauled (cancelling either before hauling if selling it, or maybe right after if being junked).

Check online for your state's rules on transfer of title. Note also in at least some states if you are junking it (as opposed to selling it, even if onlhy for $1), the person taking it for junk hads to be a licensed junkyard or scrap dealer - that done again to reduce chance of people haulling off junkers for cash and then dumping them over a bluff somewhere.

In your case, since it sounds like the trailer is being junked, if he is hauling it away to junk he does not want to go through the title and registration hassle if just scrapping it, so YOU would go to the DMV yourself and deregister the title, and the vehicle would be recorded as JUNKED - meaning it cannot legally be registered in any state in the future. In this case they might require certifying paperwork from the guy hauling it off that it has actually been junked, so again check the forms and requirements. I know California and NY for two at least used to require this, as some protection against people being paid to haul junkers off and just dumping them of a bluff orin the river instead of paying for proper disposal of it.

Get this done right, especially since it can still be towed, because if on the road it has to be registered (though could be a temporary hauling registration which typically costs about $10 and is good for just a couple of days) - so you will have to work out with the guy WHEN title leaves you, or if ever. Might be title stays with you (though at least some liability during the tow also stays with you if it breaks loose or such during hauling) until it gets to where it is being junked, the guy signs any needed paperwork certifying it is now junked, and you take that to DMV to cancel the registration and title.

If this guy routinely does this, he may have a temporary towing permit that covers vehicles being towed by him and they therefore do not have to be currently registered - is an annual permit commonly held by towing companies and junkyards that go to get junkers - in which case you would "junk" deregister the title and he would hauyl it away.

Note also when you stay stripped - if it is being hauled on the road (as opposed to off the road up on a truck or trailer) if it is not road legal there is liability to the owner there - like if there is stuff that might fall off or does not have legal lights, brakes, bumper, side markers/reflectors, etc.

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy