Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 10/24/2019

if you upgrade the service panel, can you leave some circuits on the old 2 wire system.

I'm buying an old house with a fuse box. some circuits are double tapped as it is. I'd like to upgrade the electrical service to 150 amp, put in a circuit breaker box and rewire outlets one room at a time. Can I keep the lighting circuits on the old 2 wire system.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


If you want to upgrade the circuits from 2 wire (hot + neutral) to 3 wire (hot + neutral + ground) then you need to run that new ground wire from the panel to each outlet or switch box on the circuit. This type of work comes under the category of house re-wire. It is not part of the service panel upgrade


Answered 1 year ago by kestrelelectric

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy