Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 4/25/2014

is it less expensive to get locksmith or to simply get a new door?

My door is a multilock security door. The lock is jammed and doornob won't turn. The door has some damage to wood on outside as well.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


With installation cost included, I can't image any door that would be cheaper to replace than to repair the locks on. Of course, if the wood is significantly damaged such that sanding and filling and repainting would not fix it, then maybe a new door would be cheapest.

Assuming someone tried to kick it in or use a prybar on it, I would guess the jamb/stops got pushed in and maybe split, just jamming the deadbolts in their slots. Sounds to me like the door just needs to be pushed real hard against the stops by leaning hard on it from inside while turning the knob/latch get the lock opened, then damaged door stop or such repaired. If you can get it open, you should, by watching bolts as they try to close, be able to see where the damage is - you can probably take a hammer and hammer back the stops or the deadbolt striker plate a bit to remove the interference so the bolts will close without jamming, so door will work until you can get a finish carpenter or door installer there to fix the damage.

BTW - stops are the wood strips the door closed against, which stick out from the frame 1/2 inch or so. The striker plate it the metal plate in the door jamb which the doorknob operated latch and the deadbolt go into to "lock" the door and hold it closed.

If you can't get it opened by pushing the door tightly closed while operating knob/bolt, then a locksmith can come and get it open, and reset the striker or stops as necessary to make it work - may or may not need a carpenter to repair damaged wood - and door damage, unless stained or clear finish, you can probably patch yourself with wood putty and paint.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy