Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 8/24/2017

kitchen water damage from leaky pipe.

pipe repaired but I have water damage to all my floor cabinets Can i repalce those to match the upper cabinets

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


While a Cabinet Making firm (your Search the List category) can certainly come at least real close to the present cabinet finish, generally unless it is just toekick damage which can be covered over with new baseboard or toekick, if the cabinets were so damaged they need replacement you are usually talking at leat removal and reinstallation of countertops to get teh lower cabinets out and the new ones in - so commonly you need a Countertop specialist to do that without breaking it. This commonly leads to at least some backsplash damage and repair needs. You may well also have electrical, plumbing, garbage disposal damage depending on where the water came from and sprayed to, Maybe also wall damage/ wetting/mold if the water got in the wall, ditto to flooring and subflooring - a serious flooding incident can sometimes lead to a near total kitchen remodel job. Commonly, if not remediated within a day to three, a mold remediation contractor also gets inot the picture in significant flooding cases.

BTW - regarding cabinet match - courts have recently held that if a pretty much perfect match is not possible, then the other mis-matching cabinets (or flooring) have to be replaced or refinished to match - that you do not have to accept mismatching cabinets or finishes under an insurance-paid repair which a normal person would find visually disturbing or objectionable.

So - with all the ancillary things typically needing work, a Remodeling - Kitchen and Bath contractor, and/or Smoke and Water Damage contractor depending on contractor, is commonly involved.

Also, if this is more than just damage to the under-sink cabinet (and many times even in that case), damage is likely to reach the point where a homeowner's insurance claim will be in order (assuming this was a sudden pipe leak or roof leak event, not long-term deterioration from a slow leak which is normally not covered,, and not from outside surface flooding which is generally only covered by flood insurance.

Here are links to some previous similar questions with answers, FYI:

Answered 3 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy