Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 9/10/2013

my HVAC tech noticed my Dryer vent pipe had a hole in it and was venting into the attic, who fixes that?

He said it was venting into the attic which was putting moist hot air and lint into the air. Is that a job for a licensed repairman or a handyman here in Texas. I haven't gone up in the attic myself to look due to the heat.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

4 Answers


Depending how comfortable you are crawling in an unfinished attic sapce and vent duct location, You can save $ by placing metal tape over the hole. You do want to make sure the dryer vent is venting outside the attic. Depending on how well the attic is vented, the moisture should not be a problem in the summer. However during the cold winter the moisture can condensate on the roof decking which can cause mold/rot issues. A simple fix.

Answered 6 years ago by hosey


I am surprised if it is just a hole in the flexible vent pipe that the HVAC repairman did not just put some tape on it while he was there. Unless he figured if he touched it he owned it and any problems from it. It might not be a flexible pipe and actually I hope it is not. Flexible pipe in my opinion should only be used from the dryer to the wall and hard duct from that point to the exterior of the house due to fire protection purposes and it is easier to clean anyway. If access to the attic is not too difficult you could wait till the evening and go up and put tape over what is there or a handyman would be another choice. Odds are a handyman will just run flexible duct. If you have a service contract with HVAC contractor you might call them and see if on next visit they could bring the needed supplies to take care of it, they would be better equipped to do metal duct work.

Answered 6 years ago by ContractorDon


I am guessing the HVAC tech was actually just their cleaning and servicing guy, or an A/C tech, but any normal HVAC contractor would have duct on the truck to replace it, or metal duct tape to patch it. He is the person you would call to fix it.

If you fix it yourself (and it should be fixed ASAP) get waterproof duct tape that states it is for use on ducts, and do at least 3 full wraps around the duct at the leak to seal it, an at least 1 inch past the sides of the hole. Remember - the tape does not adhere to duct over the long term half as good as it adheres to iteself, so full wrap layers are needed, not just patches over the hole, and pull them tight as you do it - loose tape does not fully bond the glue. The metal tape is longer lasting, and in hot Texas is probably a better idea than having to replace regular duct tape that will staart peeling and delaminating in about 2-5 years.

When you are up there you should collect up the majority of the lint so if rodents or insects get up there it does not form a ready nesting mateial for them, unless you have blown-in insulation in which case what the heckk - basically the same stuff.

if the "hole" turns out to be a loose joint, do NOT use sheet metal screws or pop rivets to hold it together - they will snag the lint and can cause a blockage - use tape only.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD


Re the comment by Hosey, a point for readers of this thread: Actually, while a cold roof or cold air in the attic will cause moisture from the vent to condense and maybe frost up in the winter, the main damage will occur in the warmer weather when the wet wood and insulation (be it from winter condensation or excessive moisture absorbed by the wood from warmer weather exposure to the dryer moisture) then grows mold and mildew. Granted, in most of Texas the temperature is likelyto be warm enough to promote mold growth.

In very cold climates it is very common for houses to build frost on the underside of the roof sheathing and rafters in the winter from household moisture getting into the attic. I have seen houses with a foot of frost on the underside of the roof that have had no vapor barrier or insulation changes for decades so presumably have done that every year, yet have zero mold or mildew because once spring comes the frost evapotranspires - meaning it evaporates straight from frost to moisture in the air without visible moisture drops, and just vents with the attic ventilation. As long as the attic is well ventilated, this is not the harmful condition, though obviously not desireable. Moisture in the attic (be it from roof leak, household moisture leaking in, dryer or furnace ducts leaking, kitchen or bathroom fan ducts terminating in the attic or leaking, etc) during warm conditions it what causes the real damage, especially when it is persistent so the mold can grow into the wood continually, becoming wet or dry rot.

Regarding the original question of who should fix it - I would use an HVAC repairman just because, unless you watch it being done, you have no way of knowing if it was changed out (which it should be if flexduct, at a minimum) or if just a slab of tape was put on it - maybe just cheap "duct" tape which is not even rated for duct sealing. of course, if you already have a good handyman who you trust from prior work, this is certainly within his realm of abilities. I would have the holes duct replaced if I were you, especially if it does not involve removing roof hoods, because the added $10 or so in materials is all the additional you will pay - either way you will be paying a minimum service call charge.

Answered 6 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy