Ask Your Question

Angie's List Answers is the trusted spot to ask home improvement and health questions and get answers from service companies, health providers and consumers. For ratings and reviews on companies in your area, search Angie's List.

Top 30 Days Experts
Rank Leader Points*
1 kstreett 240
2 Guest_9020487 110
3 Guest_9190926 105
4 GoldenKid 100
5 ahowell 95
6 KnowledgeBase 95
7 skbloom 80
8 Guest_98024861 70
9 Guest_9311297 70
10 Guest_9400529 70

*Updates every 4 hours

Browse Projects By Category

Question DetailsAsked on 5/11/2016

my house is only 500 sq ft. what do i need a 200 amp service for

there is one bedroom, bath, kitchen, tv room & loving room. THe house is 500 sq ft.

Do you have the same question? Follow this Question

1 Answer


For that size house, would normally be 100-125A for normal hourse with gas service, or 150A for all-electric with normal demands (but no whole-house tankless water heater).

Only normal reason I could see is if you have all-electric house (furnace/boiler and hot water heater as well as clothes dryer and range), or possibly because you have a high-capacity tankless water heater or fast-charge plug-in electric vehicle or a LOT of outdoor power demand (including pool heaters or big floodlights), big power tools in the shop/garage, or a pot grow operation - though the way cops commonly find indoor grow operations is looking at houses with over 200-250A services - commonly in the 300-400A range for large commercial operations.

Or to provide additional capacity for an addition to the house in the future.

An electrician can figure the rated demand for your existing house circuitry and loads for probably about $200-300, including recommendation and cost for upsizing as needed. I would guess if you have an older panel, probably around 50-70A if fused, or 75-100A if breakers.

You don't say WHY you are considering a larger capacity - did you have an electrician out for some repair who said your service is undersized ?

Of course, the incremental cost of upgrading from a 150A to 200A service, say, while already doing a general upgrade, is probably about $250-500 range, so if doing a whole-house upgrade it might not be a bad idea as a selling point if there is a likelihood a buyer would be looking at a major addition rather than seeing the house as a tear-down.

Answered 4 years ago by LCD

Related Questions

Terms Of Use
Privacy Policy